The Community Hub

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world. Log in to access

• Nayana

Administrator
    January 26, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Unfortunately spraying peppermint on the hay is as likely to inhibit her feeding as encourage it, always best to separate the aromatics from feed. How much is she eating? Is she losing condition? Could it be that she is just sleeping a lot? It’s quite natural for horses to spend time without eating actually. Mine, who have access to 30 hectares and plentiful food at all times will often stand doing nothing for 3 or 4 hours if it’s hot in summer, or if the sun is out after a wet night. I always chuckle and tell them they didn’t read the instructions about horses needing to eat all the time :). But I understand the ulcers are a worry, and it’s also possible she’s not eating because she’s more stressed in the stable and therefore ulcers are bothering her more. I would probably soak hay, put some pieces of fruit like whole apples and carrots around the stall for her to ‘graze’ on, offer her some calendula oil when she comes in (one of my favourite ulcer remedies), and a bucket of soaked grass nuts. I know not everyone is a fan, but a small amount of alfalfa nuts, well-soaked are a good food for cooling Stomach Heat (ulcers). That way, you know she is well fed and you are setting up a good environment in her gut. Ulcers need moisture to heal, hence the slippery elm, so the more you can feed her moist food the more comfortable she will feel, the more comfortable she feels, the more she will eat. If you have some essential oils, you can offer German chamomile (matricaria recutita) and/or peppermint, other herbs that can help are marshmallow root and meadowsweet. You could even leave her a bucket with peppermint hydrosol (1 cup in an average bucket), but make sure she has access to plain water as well. Hope this is helpful